I want to take a moment on Veteran's Day to thank all of the veterans that are serving our country, or have served our country in the past. I am so very thankful for the freedoms that we have because of them. I was reminded this when I went to the Veteran's Day program at Leah's school today. We truly have so much to be thankful for in the United States of America.
When Molly came home from school today, she brought a paper about Veteran's Day history that I am ashamed to say I didn't already know, so I will share with you the things that I learned. Veteran's Day was first called Armistice Day. This day signaled the end of World War I, which had 35 countries involved, and was fought from 1914-1918. An armistice (truce) was signed on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. The unidentified American soldier was buried in Arlington National Cemetery at 11:00A.M. on 11/11/21 and his grave is known as the "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier". On that same day, a soldier from France and a soldier from England were buried in their own countries giving special recognition to the end of the war. The U.S. Congress changed the name from Armistice Day to Veteran's Day in 1954. The U.S. government holds its annual Veteran's Day ceremonies at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Thank you once again veterans for all the sacrifices you have made and continue to make for this great country. God Bless America!!
0 comments:
Post a Comment